I have a love/hate relationship with online recipes, but I have in the past used many from Baking Mad with great success. This was no different and the results were a delight (even if I do say so myself!)
The ingredients list was nice and short, making the recipe budget friendly; something that stops me baking as much as I’d like can be the cost of ingredients. Although the website suggests specific products to use, I didn’t have access to them all so used equivalents:
100g softened butter (plus a little extra for greasing)
175g self raising flour (Allison Nature Friendly) sieved
1tsp baking powder
175g Golden Caster Sugar (Billingtons)
2 Happy Eggs
6tsp Just Milk
1tsp pure orange extract.
For the topping you’ll need the juice of one large lemon and another 100g of golden caster sugar; plus retro fabulous orange and lemon jelly slices to decorate!
The method was a quick and easy all-in-one job, which is just what I like!
1. Preheat the oven to 180*c, 160*c (fan) or Gas Mark 4
2. Grease/line a shallow oblong tin (approx 18x28cm)
3. Place all the cake ingredients in to a large mixing bowl. Preferably using an electric mixer beat the mixture for 4-5 minutes, or until the mixture drops easily off a spoon.
4. Spoon the mixture in to the tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and firm to touch.
5. While the cake is baking prepare the icing. Beat together the lemon juice and sugar. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven pour the mixture evenly over the top, then leave to cool.
6. Cut the cake in to 16 squares, them top each one with the orange and lemon slices.
And that’s it! This really is quick and simple..and the best bit? It’s best eaten WARM, which means no hanging around to dig in!
Have you used the Baking Mad website before? Which recipes have caught your eye?